Thursday, August 25, 2016

PLAGIARSIM AND PLAIN THEFT

A WOMAN CALLED MEAZA MENGSITE plagiarized one of  my short stories (1993) and wrote a fulll book  " Beneath the Lion's Gaze" and has refused to apologize up to now. I have no lawyer to take to court in the USA. In Ethiopia, a certain Awgchew (a book seller) violated the copyright of Babile Tola and translated into Amharic the book entitled :The Red Terror in Ethiopia--To kill a Generation. It was also a very bad translation. The authorized translation was actually made by the late Tsegaye Gebre Medhin debteraw killled by the TPLF regime. Awgchew later apologised but a like thieving cat has come back again to republish the  unauthorized translation (Empress Publisher,Addis Abeba). Babile has also no lawyer to argue for his rights as the writer. Injustice at all levels.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Hama, I knew you only lately and I was introduced to your writings by a friend. I bought a couple of your books from Amazon (you are a bit expensive:) and am waiting to receive them. I am enjoying your articles and I have became a fan. Your style is unique and smooth-flowing. Let me just say that I know few people, if any, that I admire for their virtuosity in English I bought this book of Maaza Mengiste online. Can you be more specific on which parts she plagiarized? And remember, imitation (in this case plagiarisms) is the sincerest form of flattery. :)